6.16.2011

willow


the year: 1988

the genre: fantasy


the cast: Val Kilmer (Madmartigan); Joanne Whalley (Sorsha); Warwick Davis (Willow Ufgood); Jean Marsh (Queen Bavmorda)


the plot: Willow, a small farmer and apprentice magician, meets Madmartigan, a great swordsman, and together they journey through a war-torn land of magic and monsters, to save a baby princess from death at the hands of an evil queen.


don't miss: the Brownies.



listen for: "You are drunk, and when you are drunk you forget that I am in charge!"



did you know: Ron Howard said that the part of the two-headed dragon "Eborsisk" was modeled after Clint Howard, his brother. He said that since Clint has had many cameo appearances in his films, and Ron couldn't find a part for him in this one, he modeled the dragon after him.



extra bonus points: if you know who lost the role of Madmartigan to Val Kilmer. (It's probably a good thing - although a great actor, he's not the first one I think of when picturing someone sword fighting.)


also listen for: ""I dwell in darkness without you" and it *went away*?!"

3 comments:

Laney said...

I have been afraid to watch this movie as an adult because I liked it so much as a kid...and I don't want my illusions dashed.

Scott said...

Don't worry Laney, I like it as an adult, too. I actually caught a lot more of the subtle wit.

"I expected something more grand. Something less...fuzzy"

Millie Motts said...

Answer: John Cusak.