5.28.2010

that funny feeling


the year: 1965

the genre: comedy


the cast: Sandra Dee (Joan Howell); Bobby Darin (Tom Milford); Donald O’Connor (Harvey Granson); Nita Talbot (Audrey); Larry Storch (Luther); Leo G. Carroll (Mr. O’Shea, the pawnbroker)


the plot: Joan Howell, a pretty maid-for-hire, meets and begins dating wealthy New York City businessman Tom Milford. Embarrassed about taking him back to the tiny apartment she shares with her roommate Audrey, Joan takes Tom to a fancy apartment that she cleans on a daily basis not knowing that it's his place. Tom plays along with the charade despite not knowing who Joan really is, especially at the insistence of his friend Harvey – who is hiding his priceless paintings at Tom’s house so his wife’s divorce lawyers won’t include them in the alimony equation.


count: how many wing-ding parties are held in Mr. Milford’s apartment.


don’t miss: the supporting characters – Audrey, Audrey’s boyfriend Luther, and Mr. O’Shea.


check out: the bartenders. Slightly reminiscent of I’d Rather Be Rich.


listen for: “This is the girl who took my place.” “Well, what's she doing in my place?” “She won't let me in my place so I had to call your place my place.”


extra bonus points: if you can name the other two movies in which Darin and Dee co-starred.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Ooh, ooh! "Come September" and "If A Man Answers". (I confess I've only seen Come September, but youtube is my friend.) :)