4.01.2011

guess who?

Her acceptance speech for the 1943 Oscar was 5-1/2 minutes in length - the longest acceptance speech ever.

She donated millions to have a theater built at the College of Santa Fe. She had three conditions that had to be followed: 1) it had to be a working circular stage, 2) the first play had to be A Midsummer's Night Dream, and 3) it had to have large ladies' restrooms.

She married her second husband after co-starring with him in a film where he played her son.

She said, "I've been offered nymphomaniacs, kleptomaniacs, pyromaniacs, homicidal maniacs and just plain maniacs. I think producers felt that after playing a long series of noble and admirable characters there would be quite a lot of shock value in seeing me play something altogether different. But I prefer upbeat stories that send people out of the theater feeling better than they did coming in. It's my cup of tea."

In 1982, she turned down Aaron Spelling's offer of a part in the hit soap "Dynasty" playing mother to Joan Collins's Alexis.

She was nominated for an Academy Award for five years in a row: 1941-1945.

4 comments:

Laney said...

I actually know this one - but I'll not share. I watched her version of Pride and Prejudice recently -- TOTALLY off culturally, but I still liked it. I keep trying to talk Blaine into using her first name for a girl, but he won't have it. Fun hater!

Scott said...

Really? Greer? I might have to side with Blaine on that one.

Millie Motts said...

Correct! Greer Garson.

Ooh. I like the name Greer. Sounds classy/spunky at the same time. But I'll recuse myself from any "issue" naming discussions. :)

Laney said...

Mrs. Miniver was on this morning. It's more appealing staying home to watch a good movie than to head to work...