9.30.2010

the emperor's new groove


the year: 2000

the genre: comedy


the plot: The vain and cocky Emperor Kuzco is a very busy young man. Besides maintaining his "groove", and firing his suspicious administrator, Yzma, he's also planning to build a new waterpark just for himself for his birthday. However, this means destroying one of the villages in his kingdom. Meanwhile, Yzma is hatching a plan to get revenge and usurp the throne. But, in a botched assassination courtesy of Yzma's right-hand man, Kronk, Kuzco is magically transformed into a llama. Now, Kuzco finds himself the property of Pacha, a lowly llama herder whose home is ground zero for the water park. Upon discovering the llama's true identity, Pacha offers to help resolve the Emperor's problem and regain his throne, only if he promises to move his water park.


count: how many times Tipo says the word "great" when he says, "You know, I really don't believe you're my great aunt, you're more like my...",



don't miss: Theme Song Guy. The makers of the film originally wanted to get Sting to sing the opening song but he said he was too old, they need someone more hip and younger. So they went with Tom Jones. The irony? Sting is in his 50s, Jones is in his 60s.



watch for: the nod to Bob's Big Boy restaurants.



listen for: "Ah, how shall I do it? Oh, I know. I'll turn him into a flea, a harmless, little flea, and then I'll put that flea in a box, and then I'll put that box inside of another box, and then I'll mail that box to myself, and when it arrives...I'll smash it with a hammer! It's brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, I tell you! Genius, I say!...Or, to save on postage..."



did you also know: Patrick Warburton improvised Kronk's humming of his own theme song when he was carrying Kuzco in the bag to the waterfall. Disney legal department had Patrick to sign all rights to the humming composition over to them.



extra bonus points: if you share your favorite quote from this movie.


also listen for: "Squeaky, uh, squeak, sqeaker, squeakin'."

4 comments:

Laney said...

"You have a lovely wife. Both very pretty." While my mom was living in Vegas with my aunt and uncles family, one of my little cousins (around 4yrs) told my mom in response to a questions "Don't know, don't care." and then walked away. Mom couldn't figure out where she got such a snarky phrase UNTIL they watched ENG together and Kuzco says it. It's now a family joke. I also LOVE the map at the end.

Aubree Legler said...

"the only ones who know that are the three of us, soon to be the two of us!" --ysma

"and i'm one of those two, right?" --kronk

or something along those lines. :)

kronk is my favorite. smart as a retarded rock.

B Porter said...

I think the correct statement would be that Tom Jones is ageless, and you can too if you had his hair stylist!

Here's a memorable one.
"Cheese me no likie!"

Lori said...

"Open the door and I'll burn your house down!" "Don't you mean OR?"

"Grmpphhh! It just makes me so mad...I have to go and wash something!"

Love it in part because Kuzko reminds us of my brother in law when he was younger, whom we love!